What does a Medical Receptionist do?
A medical receptionist is an important part of a well functioning healthcare team. Medical receptionists are sometimes called other common names including medical front office staff or medical administrative assistants. They are tasked with fulfilling administrative duties and keeping an organized office environment that allows the doctors and nurses to focus on patient care and treatment.
Doctors and nurses rely on medical receptionists and administrative staff to help facilitate patients through the healthcare facility. Common job responsibilities include booking patient appointments, greeting patients as they arrive, translating medical services properly through medical coding into billable services, and other administrative tasks.
The duties and responsibilities of a Medical Receptionist can include:
- Answering phones, scheduling/canceling appointments
- Completing insurance forms and other billing records
- Coding medical services and processing medical bills
- Maintaining office inventory and supply levels
- Handling x-rays and lab test results
- Interacting with drug reps and other vendors
- Office duties including document faxing, scanning, and filing
Whether in-person or over the phone, the medical receptionist is often the first person that patients interact with. This initial interaction can have a large impact on patient-provider relationships for the long-term.
What environments do Medical Receptionists work in?
Medical receptionists work in a variety of medical settings including clinics, doctor’s offices, surgical centers, outpatient healthcare facilities, and hospitals.
Skills and Qualifications of successful Medical Receptionists:
- Professional and pleasant phone voice and interactions
- Ability to multitask and prioritize job duties
- Basic computer literacy in common applications including email and Microsoft Office
- Understanding of medical office procedures and workflow
Why ACI’s Medical Receptionist Training Program?
See what past students have to say about ACI’s Medical & Dental Administrative Assistant Program.
At ACI Medical & Dental School, our Medical & Dental Administrative Assistant Program is one of the most comprehensive training programs in the country. Unlike other programs that focus on the medical or dental industry, graduates of this program are prepared to work in both Medical & Dental administrative settings.
Students in our Medical & Dental Administrative Assistant Program learn a variety of skills including:
- Translating Medical & Dental terminology into codes used for billing
- Managing electronic health records
- Medical & Dental health insurance reimbursement procedures
- Dental charting and treatment planning
- Medical & Dental software including: Medisoft, Dentrix, and EZ Dental 2000
Our unique program provides students with hands on training and the technical skills required to be successful in an administrative role. Contact us today to schedule a tour of ACI Medical & Dental School.