Medical Assistant certification from the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) must be renewed every two years. When it comes time to renew your Medical Assistant NHA certification, ACI Medical & Dental School recommends having the process completed on or before your expiration date. Certification renewal ensures you maintain your Medical Assistant credentials and get uninterrupted access to all your NHA benefits. Here is a helpful guide to renewing or reinstating your certification.
What is the difference between NHA Certification Renewal and Reinstatement?
The National Healthcare Association offers two ways to renew your Medical Assistant certification: renewal and reinstatement.
- Renewal updates an active certification to ensure it remains active
- Reinstatement reactivates your certification after it has expired
If your certificate expires, you must retake and pass the certification exam, and if you hold multiple certifications, you’ll need ten total CE credits. If you’re reinstating, you need 15 credits.
What will happen if my NHA Certification Expires?
If your NHA certification expires, you will not be able to practice as a certified professional in your field. The NHA recommends renewing your certification year to year, ensuring you are up-to-date on the latest information and best practices in your area.
How do I renew my NHA Certification?
If you have multiple certificates, you can renew them together. Renewal is essential to stay up-to-date on the latest industry trends. The process for renewal is as follows:
- Complete 10 Continuing education (CE) credits
- Log in to nhanow.com
- Click “Find CE Courses” on the left menu under Continuing Education
- Choose your course– select “View Content” and then “Take Exam.”
- Use Provided Step-by-Step Instructions
- Renew Certification
- Log in to your NHA account, and select “Renew Certifications” on the left menu of your NHA launchpad to begin the checkout process.
- Check out
- Pay your two-year certification renewal fee.
The Benefits of Renewing Your NHA Certification
There are many benefits to renewing your NHA certification, including the following:
- Keeping your professional credentials up-to-date
- Renewing your NHA certification ensures that your professional credentials are up-to-date. This is important because it shows employers and clients that you are knowledgeable and skilled in your field.
- Maintaining your professional status.
- Your NHA certification also allows you to maintain your professional status. This is crucial because it will enable you to continue working in your chosen career and provides you with the opportunity for advancement.
- Access to exclusive resources
- With your NHA certification, you gain access to exclusive resources, including the latest information and best practices in your field—providing you the knowledge to stay up-to-date on your field’s latest data and trends.
- Discounts on professional development opportunities
- Upon renewal, you may be eligible for discounts on professional development opportunities, such as conferences and workshops, furthering your professional development and career growth.
What Does the Renewal or Reinstatement Process Entail?
As an NHA-certified professional, you have access to the resources you need to stay ahead of the curve as a Medical Assistant and earn continuous education credits (CECs). The NHA requires ten continuing education credits to renew your certification. If you completed a 6-hour class, you would have completed 3 of your 10 CE credits.
If your certificate expired less than a year ago, you could still renew, but you’ll need to complete 15 total CE credits, and additional fees will apply. You must retake the certification exam if your certification expired more than a year ago. If you have credits from other sources, you can use these toward your total CE credits.
Paying & Completing Your Recertification
You’ll pay a renewal fee upon completion of your courses, and your status will be automatically updated. Additionally, there’s no penalty for renewing early; it costs as little as $179 every two years. Contact ACI Medical & Dental School to learn about renewing your NHA certification today!