As with our other primary programs, the Dental Assistant Training program at Advantage Career Institute Medical & Dental School requires students to participate in a 180-hour internship at a dental facility. At ACI Medical & Dental School, we place our students in rewarding, educational internship opportunities. We find that an internship is a critical and essential part of the learning experience. Classroom learning is important, but getting hands-on experience and honing the actual skills you will use in a Dental Assistant career is crucial to preparing students for finding a job after graduation.
Common Responsibilities in a Dental Assistant Internship
Dental Assistants have a fast-paced daily schedule, and are expected to fill a variety of different roles in a dental office. A Dental Assistant internship will help prepare students for the diverse nature of the job, as well as help meet the NJ DEP requirements for dental radiology licensing. Some of the common tasks required of a Dental Assistant include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting the dentist with various dental procedures
- Communicating with patients and coworkers
- Radiological tasks such as exposing and processing x-rays
- Processing and sterilizing dental instruments and equipment, tray set-ups
- Helping to manage the front office of the dental practice
- Updating patient electronic health records (EHR)
- A thorough understanding of Dental terminology and anatomy, Emergency Procedures, and clinical procedures will be utilized throughout the Dental Assistant’s typical day.
Benefits of a Dental Assistant Internship
As one of the fastest growing professions according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Dental Assistant positions can have strong competition. Having an advantage over other candidates looking to enter the dental field will make it much easier for you to show your knowledge and passion when interview time comes. A Dental Assistant internship will increase your value to potential employers by giving you:
- A stronger resume including hands-on experience
- Increased confidence and knowledge of the day-to-day responsibilities of a Dental Assistant
- Improved time management, professionalism, and communication skills crucial to the job of a Dental Assistant
- An opportunity for employment after the internship
At ACI Medical & Dental School, we believe that getting hands-on experience is invaluable and will help our students find employment upon finishing their chosen program. If you are interested in getting involved with one of our programs, or have questions regarding the Dental Assistant internship program specifically, contact us today.