The field of dentistry is unique in that the services they provide are under two categories, personal aesthetics, and health care. With this level of diversity within a particular field, the employees must be a team of highly trained professionals with proper certifications. The Dental Assistant is one of the most crucial pieces of a functioning office. For those who seek the rush of helping people maintain a happy and healthy life, becoming a Dental Assistant at ACI Medical & Dental School can, in some cases, be the first step towards a long and rewarding career within the Dental Industry. Dental Assistants enhance the efficiency of any dental care team from assertive communication and interpersonal skills to ensuring that patients feel comfortable while in-office operations run smoothly.
Primary Duties of a Dental Assistant
Dental Assistants have a range of critical daily responsibilities, including:
- Assisting the dentist with intra-oral dental procedures
- Communicating with patients
- Processing and sterilizing dental instruments and equipment, tray set-ups
- Radiological tasks such as exposing and processing x-rays
- Helping to manage the front office of the dental practice
- Updating patient electronic health records (EHR)
- Assist in Emergency & Clinical procedures.
- Ensure that patients are comfortable in the dental chair
- Prepare patients and the work area for treatments and procedures
- Sterilize dental instruments
- Hand instruments to dentists during procedures
- Dry patients’ mouths using suction hoses and other equipment
The duties of a Dental Assistant are constantly changing; you’re the worker bee and the most dependable person in the building. Dental Assistants might take a patient’s medical history, blood pressure, and pulse before a procedure; explain what will be done, and talk to patients about oral care. As key dentistry team members, Dental Assistants are employed to improve the quality and efficiency of clinics.
Attend ACI Medical & Dental School For Your DA Certification!
In addition to many careers in the healthcare field, the demand for Dental Assistants is outpacing qualified candidates, essentially– it means there are more jobs than employers can fill! The Bureau of Labor Statistics has stated that between 2020 and 2030, there is an expected 11% increase in job growth for Dental Assistants, which is much higher than the average growth rate across all occupations. With our excellent graduation and employment rates, there has never been a better time to pursue this growing career at ACI Medical & Dental School! Students who successfully complete our Dental Assistant Training program will receive certification in radiation health and safety through the Dental Assistant National Board examination.
Students who complete the program are marketable for a wide variety of in-demand careers, including:
- Surgical Dental Assistant
- Registered Dental Assistant (RDA)
- Certified Registered Dental Assistant
- Expanded Duty Dental Assistant (EDDA)
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
- The Expanded Function Dental Assistant (EFDA), is licensed by the state to place sealants and different types of fillings. To obtain this license, you must be a Certified Dental Assistant and work full-time as a Dental Assistant for at least two years. This is the highest level of employment for Dental Assistants.
- Oral Surgery Assistant
- Orthodontic Assistant (Ortho Asst)
- Orthodontic Technician
Dental Assistants are qualified individuals who play a significant role in the dental team. While working at a practice, they will be expected to execute various tasks, including patient care and office or laboratory duties. Dental Assistants can also advance to other adjacent careers with further education, such as office managers, research associates, sales representatives, dental hygienists, and dentists.
Learn More About Our Dental Assistant Training Program
ACI Medical & Dental School in Eatontown, NJ, provides students with the skills necessary to become Dental Assistant with Radiology Licensing through hands-on training with our experienced faculty and state-of-the-art equipment. Once a student has completed this program, they will be ready to work with dentists and patients as part of a dental team. If you are interested in enrolling in ACI Medical & Dental School’s Dental Assistant Training program, contact us today and take the first step towards an exciting, in-demand new career!