Our secondary programs are not designed as standalone programs for new students. If you do not have experience working in the medical or dental industry, please see our Medical Assistant Certification Program, Dental Assistant Training Program, or Medical & Dental Administrative Assistant Program. If you are currently working in the Medical or Dental industries and are looking to earn a specific certification, please contact us as secondary programs may be a standalone option for you.
Medical Billing and Coding Certification at ACI Medical & Dental School
Our Medical Billing and Coding Certification program provides students with the skills and knowledge needed to become Certified Billing and Coding Specialists in just four months. This program is offered as part of our Medical & Dental Administrative Assistant Program. All students receive hands-on instruction in our state-of-the-art facility from our experienced staff. With a high demand for Medical Billers and Coders, now is the perfect time to embark on this rewarding career!
- Get Certified In Just a Few Months
- Fully Accredited Academic Program
- Flexible Day or Evening Class Options
- Small Class Sizes and Hands-On Medical Training
- Financial Aid Available For Our Day Programs
- Classes are Starting Soon
What is Medical Billing and Coding?
Medical billing and coding is a crucial aspect of the healthcare industry that involves translating healthcare services, procedures, equipment, and diagnoses into universal medical alphanumeric codes.
Here’s an overview of the two components:
- Medical Coding: This is the process of translating patient records, including diagnoses, treatments, tests, procedures, and other aspects of healthcare services, into standardized codes. These codes come from several classification systems such as the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) or the Current Procedural Terminology (CPT). The job of a medical coder is to review clinical statements and assign standard codes using these classification systems.
- Medical Billing: After medical coding, the codes are used in the medical billing process to create insurance claims. Medical billing involves preparing billing claims and submitting them to insurance companies. This process ensures that healthcare providers are paid for the services they provide. A medical billing specialist follows up on these claims to ensure the healthcare provider is compensated by the insurance companies.
What Do Medical Billing & Coding Specialists Do?
Medical Billing and Coding Specialists are trained professionals responsible for assigning special codes to procedures and diagnoses, and then using these codes to create accurate bills to submit to the payer or insurance company.
The professionals who handle these tasks have specialized knowledge and skills to read, interpret, and apply the complex coding system to ensure accurate billing. They are vital to the healthcare system’s financial cycle and help to prevent issues such as under-billing, overbilling, or fraud. These professionals often work in settings such as hospitals, clinics, doctor’s offices, nursing homes, or insurance companies.
Medical billing and coding requires a keen eye for detail, a strong understanding of medical terminology, and proficiency in coding systems. Training and certification are often required, such as the Certified Billing & Coding Specialist (CBCS) from the National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
Features of Our Medical Billing & Coding Program
We offer a comprehensive medical billing and coding certification program with both day and evening class options. The accelerated daytime program is 14 weeks long, while the evening program provides flexibility with a 29-week timeline.
For those seeking financial assistance, ACI Medical & Dental School accepts Federal Direct Loans (FAFSA) and VA benefits, providing financial aid to qualifying students. Through these options, students can achieve their goals without worrying about upfront education costs.
ACI Medical & Dental School sets itself apart by offering:
- NHA Certification: Students who complete the program will be certified through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) as Certified Billing and Coding Specialists (CBCS), prepared to work in hospitals, clinics, laboratories, and other healthcare settings.
- Career Assistance: Our Career Assistance Program (CAP) is an integral component, providing students with career readiness training and strategies to achieve their employment goals.
- Practical Experience: Opportunities for real-world experience through on-site internships.
What Will I Learn with NJ Medical Billing and Coding Training?
So what will you learn at a New Jersey medical billing and coding school? When a student successfully completes a program, he or she will be able to understand medical practice settings and various types of managed care plans and insurance. Medical Billing and Coding Specialists review patient and hospital records, submit claims and answer questions regarding those claims. Their responsibilities include:
- Collecting, posting and managing account payments
- Preparing and submitting claims
- Preparing and sending patient statements
- Following up with insurance companies
- Monitoring any delinquent accounts
- Identifying and resolving any billing complaints or issues
- Communicating with patients, insurance companies, and fellow healthcare professionals, answering questions and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Understanding patient privacy requirements, basic computer skills, and Medicare, Medicaid, & HIPAA guidelines and regulations regarding insurance.
As a Certified Billing & Coding Specialist, you will be able to perform the following tasks:
- Assign codes for diagnoses & procedures
- Coach healthcare providers to achieve optimal reimbursement
- Gather and review important patient information
- Preventing fraud by auditing billing
- Submit claims for reimbursement
- Support the coding and billing process
The Benefits of Medical Billing and Coding Certification
There are many good reasons to become a Certified Billing and Coding Specialist in New Jersey, including:
- A great job outlook. According to the US Department of Labor, the job outlook for Medical Billing and Coding Specialists is expected to grow 7% by 2031, which is faster than the average for all occupations.
- Fast training. At ACI Medical & Dental School, you can become a Certified Billing and Coding Specialist in just four months.
- Flexibility. This certification will give you a wide range of job opportunities in the healthcare field.
- Rewarding work. As a Medical Billing and Coding Specialist, you will play an integral role in the day-to-day functioning of your workplace, ensuring accurate billing and insurance information.
What Kinds of Work Environments can Medical Billing & Coding Specialists Contribute to?
Healthcare facilities are always in need of medical billing and coding specialists with the right qualifications. They will hire educated professionals to help eliminate any high costs caused by incorrect billing that tends to occur and negatively impact their business.
After successfully completing our program, students will be qualified to work in any number of different environments including nursing homes and long-term care facilities, hospitals and treatment centers, physician offices and even as third party billing services for companies. In addition, state and federal government bodies and organizations also employ Medical Billing and Coding Specialists. You can also develop your own business as well. Some of the careers Medical Billing and Coding Specialists can pursue include:
- Medical Records Technician
- Health Information Technician
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Information Clerk
- Medical and Health Services Manager
- Certified Professional Compliance Officer
Medical billing and coding specialists are able to work in a variety of healthcare settings including:
- Doctors offices
- Insurance companies
- Nursing homes
- Medical billing companies
- Outpatient medical centers
- Urgent care centers
Interested in Medical Billing and Coding Training?
For those who are looking for a fulfilling career in the healthcare industry without taking the long years of schooling required for other medical professions, NJ medical billing & coding classes may be just what you’ve been looking for.
By completing our Medical & Dental Administrative Assistant Program, students will be Certified Billing and Coding Specialists within five months, ready to become an important part of a healthcare administrative team.
Interested in learning more about medical billing and coding certification? Contact ACI Medical & Dental School today and start your journey to a new career!