In Demand Career Spotlight Series – Patient Access Representative
Our In Demand Career Spotlight Series, will focus on careers in the medical and dental industries where demand for skilled workers outpaces supply. At Advantage Career Institute Medical & Dental School, you can be certified for these in demand careers in three to six months, with the hands-on training and skills you’ll need for your new career.
In this month’s blog post, we will be discussing the patient access representative position.
What Does a Patient Access Representative Do?
A patient access representative is an important part of a healthcare team that can work in a variety of medical or dental settings, including hospitals, nursing homes, mental health institutions, and more.
- A patient access representative is an administrative assistant who is responsible for overseeing the admittance and dismissal of patients and visitors from healthcare facilities.
- Their responsibilities include:
- Greeting patients and caregivers, assisting with checking in and checking out.
- Recording important patient information, including insurance information. Updating electronic health records.
- Relaying information between patients and staff members, providing them with necessary updates.
- Working with insurance companies, assisting with billing and coding.
- Obtaining pre-approval for treatment.
- Referring patients to outside agencies when unable to meet their needs.
- Making sure patients have proper post-treatment instructions when checking out, if necessary.
- Obtaining payment information and handling payments.
What is the Job Outlook for Patient Access Representatives?
As with most healthcare jobs in the United States, the demand for patient access representative positions is growing faster than employers can fill them. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for comparable positions is expected to grow 15% between 2014 and 2024, which is much faster than the average national job growth.
Contact ACI Medical & Dental School Today
By completing our Medical & Dental Administrative Assistant Program, students will be Certified Billing and Coding Specialists within three to six months, equipped with the skills and knowledge to take on the responsibilities of a patient access representative.
Classes are starting soon. To learn more about this exciting new career opportunity and take the next step towards an in demand job in a growing industry, contact us today.