What is an Electronic Health Record (EHR)?
An Electronic Health Record, or EHR, is an electronic version of a patient’s medical history that is maintained by a healthcare provider. EHRs allow medical professionals to keep track of all relevant information about a patient, including:
- Medical history
- Vital signs
- Laboratory data
- Radiology reports
EHRs significantly improve patient care in a number of ways:
- They provide clear and accurate results, reducing the risk of medical error and allowing medical professionals to make informed decisions and provide better care.
- Improving the workflow and organization of a medical office. Medical records are easily found and will not be lost.
- They can contain information from all physicians who have worked with the patient, and can be shared to other physicians to ensure consistent and accurate patient care.
What does an EHR Specialist do?
As Electronic Health Records replace traditional paper charts and become more and more common in healthcare settings, such as hospitals and dental offices, an EHR Specialist is becoming an integral position in a healthcare team. An EHR Specialist manages and maintains a patient’s health record, ensuring that the information is up to date and accurate. They interact with patients, physicians, and insurance professionals in order to ensure the best possible medical care. Other duties include:
- Using medical coding to submit reimbursement claims
- Processing Release of Information requests for medical records
- Collecting patient insurance and demographic information
- Discussing patient information with physicians and insurance professionals
Contact ACI Medical & Dental School Today
A student who completes Advantage Career Institute Medical & Dental School’s Medical & Dental Administrative Assistant Program will be a Certified EHR Specialist through the National Healthcareer Association within three to six months. This program offers students the opportunity to turn general office skills into a specialty that will help them land an in-demand career in the growing medical & dental industries.
Classes are starting soon.
Contact us today to learn more about this exciting program.